- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped thyme leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 jumbo sea scallops (1 1/2 pounds)
- Lemon wedges, for serving
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 400°. Lightly butter an 8-inch square baking dish.
In a small bowl, mix the <em>panko</em> with the melted butter, olive oil, dry mustard, cayenne, garlic, parsley, chives and thyme and season with salt and pepper.
Season the scallops with salt and pepper. Set them in the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the scallops evenly with the <em>panko</em>. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until barely cooked through.
Turn the broiler on and broil the scallops 3 inches from the heat until the <em>panko</em> topping is crisp and golden brown, about 1 minute. Serve with lemon wedges.