- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 habanero, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups 1/2-inch cubed butternut squash
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 pound okra, trimmed and sliced crosswise 3/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil. Add the onion, ginger and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the habanero, cumin and turmeric and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the squash, season with salt and cook, stirring, until the squash is coated with the seasonings in the pan. Add 3 cups of the broth and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the squash is nearly tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the okra and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk the cashew butter with the remaining 1/2 cup of broth. Stir the mixture into the stew and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve the stew in deep bowls, garnished with cilantro.
The stew can be refrigerated overnight.