Seared Tuna with Anchovy-Roasted Vegetables
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 8
- 6 anchovy fillets, rinsed
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 dried red chile, seeded and chopped
- 1/3 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2 pounds), cut into 3/4-inch wedges
- 8 cipollini onions, trimmed, or 4 small yellow onions, halved
- 2 fennel bulbs (about 1 pound each) halved, cored and cut lengthwise into 1-inch wedges
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Eight 7-ounce tuna steaks (1 inch thick)
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a blender, puree the anchovies, garlic, chile, chicken stock, lemon juice, parsley, rosemary and 3 tablespoons of the olive oil until smooth. In a large roasting pan, preferably nonstick, toss the potatoes, onions and fennel with the anchovy puree. Seasons with salt and pepper and spread them in an even layer. Roast for about 35 minutes, stirring twice, or until just tender.
- Divide the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil between 2 large nonstick skillets. Season the tuna with salt and pepper, add 4 steaks to each pan and cook over high heat until nicely browned, about 6 minutes. Turn and cook for 1 minute.
- Set the tuna steaks, browned side up, on the vegetables and roast for about 6 minutes, or until the tuna is cooked through. Arrange the tuna and vegetables on a large platter and serve.
Notes One Serving Calories 447 kcal, Total Fat 16.5 gm, Saturated Fat 3.4 gm
Pair the rustic, hearty taste of this dish with an intense dry white, such as a Vernaccia di San Gimignano from Italy.