- 8 drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, minced (1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallion greens
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Four 4-ounce sushi-grade tuna steaks
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons herbes de Provence
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 fennel bulb—trimmed, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, quartered
How to make this recipe
make the sauce vierge
Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
prepare the tuna
Season the tuna steaks all over with salt, pepper and the herbes de Provence. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the canola oil until shimmering. Add the tuna and sear over high heat until golden, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer the tuna steaks to a cutting board and slice them 1/4 inch thick.
Arrange the fennel on plates, top with the tuna and drizzle with the sauce vierge. Squeeze the lemon over the tuna and serve.
The sauce vierge can be refrigerated for up to 6 hours.
Bright, floral Sicilian white.