- 3 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons palm sugar or packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 6 fresh red Thai bird chiles, minced (seeded for less heat)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Four 7-ounce skinless sole fillets, preferably grey sole
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
How to make this recipe
In a small saucepan, stir the fish sauce and sugar over high heat until the sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cilantro, chiles, garlic, lime juice and crushed red pepper.
Heat a large skillet until hot. Season the sole with salt and black pepper. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil to the skillet and swirl to coat the bottom. Add 2 of the fillets and cook over high heat until lightly browned outside and just white throughout, 1 to 2 minutes per side; transfer to plates. Wipe out the skillet and repeat with the remaining olive oil and sole. Pour the lime sauce on the sole and serve.
The lime sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Steamed white rice and sauteed bok choy or Chinese mustard greens.