Seared Scallops with Bacon Marmalade
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Sarah Simmons tops scallops with a sweet-and-spicy bacon-onion marmalade (which she also likes to spoon on grits). The creamy carrot puree served alongside gets its subtle heat from harissa, a North African chile paste.
- 1/2 pound cold thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons harissa (see Note)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 16 large sea scallops (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- In a medium cast-iron skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 6 to 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a plate. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Add the onion to the skillet and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until soft and golden, about 25 minutes. Add the sugar and cook until the sugar is dissolved and the onions are glazed, about 2 minutes. Return the bacon to the skillet; season with cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper. Keep the bacon marmalade warm.
- In a medium saucepan of salted boiling water, cook the carrots until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain well. In a food processor, combine the carrots with the butter and harissa and puree until smooth. Add the cream and pulse until incorporated. Season with salt and black pepper. Scrape the carrot-harissa puree into the saucepan; keep warm over very low heat.
- Season the scallops with salt and black pepper. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the scallops and cook over moderately high heat until browned on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn the scallops and cook until just opaque throughout, about 1 minute longer. Transfer the scallops to plates and top with the bacon marmalade. Serve the carrot-harissa puree alongside.
Minerally, full-bodied white Burgundy
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.