Seared Scallop Salad with Asparagus and Scallions
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
- 1 pound large whole scallions
- 1 1/4 pounds asparagus, tough stems discarded, stalks peeled
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 3/4 pounds sea scallops
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- In a pot of boiling salted water, blanch the scallions just until tender, 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels. Repeat with the asparagus.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the scallions and asparagus and season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderately high heat, gently tossing occasionally, just until golden, about 5 minutes. Keep warm.
- Pat the scallops dry; season with salt and pepper. In another large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil until shimmering. Working in batches, sear the scallops over moderately high heat until golden, 2 minutes per side. Transfer to warmed plates. Wipe out the skillet.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil in the same skillet. Add the thyme and shallot and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the shallot is slightly softened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Add the vinegar and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil; stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up any browned bits from the pan.
- Garnish the scallops with the scallions and asparagus. Drizzle the salad with the warm vinaigrette and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.