- Four 6-ounce skin-on sockeye salmon fillets
- Kosher salt
- 4 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon anise seeds
- 1/3 cup crème fraîche
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 20 basil leaves, torn
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
How to make this recipe
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a colander, toss the cucumbers, onion, anise seeds and 2 teaspoons of salt. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Gently squeeze the cucumbers dry. In a medium bowl, whisk the crème fraîche with the lemon juice. Add the cucumbers and onion and mix well, then gently stir in the basil.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the salmon, skin side down, and flatten gently with a spatula. Cook over moderate heat until the skin is crisp, 4 minutes. Flip and cook until opaque throughout, 3 minutes. Serve with the salad.
A dry German Riesling.