Seared Romaine Spears with Caesar Dressing
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 10
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 10 hearts of romaine, halved lengthwise
- 10 slices crusty peasant bread
- 3 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved
- Light a grill. In a blender or mini food processor, blend the mayonnaise with the vinegar, garlic, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco. With the machine on, gradually add 1/2 cup of the vegetable oil until the Caesar dressing is creamy. Season with salt and pepper, cover and refrigerate.
- Lightly brush the hearts of romaine with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once or twice, until lightly charred but still crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Lightly brush the bread with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Grill, turning once, until toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Spread half of the Caesar dressing on a large platter. Arrange the grilled hearts of romaine on top and brush with the remaining dressing. Garnish with the cheese shavings and serve the grilled bread alongside.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.