- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
filling & finishing
- 1 pound baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
How to make this recipe
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, sour cream, egg, olive oil and salt until the ingredients bind together. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for a couple minutes, or until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Place the potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large pot and fill with cold water to cover the potatoes. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and then simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain potatoes and mash. Allow to cool.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute or until soft. Stir in chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the chicken is browned and cooked through. Stir in the green onion and Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and black pepper. Combine the mashed potatoes and chicken. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about 1/8-inch thick. Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut out 12-15 rounds. Brush the edges of each round lightly with water, then place 1 tablespoon of filling on one side of the rounds. Fold the dough over, making half moon shapes, pressing out the air. Press and crimp the edges to seal the pierogi.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Cook the pierogi for 3-5 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pierogi to the skillet with the butter and sear each side for about 1 minute or until golden. Serve warm garnished with the green onion.