- Four 6-ounce trimmed fresh tuna steaks, cut 1-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulbquartered, cored and thinly sliced lengthwise, some feathry fronds reserved
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives in 1-inch lengths
- 4 Roasted Tomato Halves
- Finely ground pepper
- Roasted Tomato Vinaigrette
- Fresh chive blossoms, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- Coat both sides of the tuna steaks with the coarse pepper and season with salt. In a large heavy skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over high heat until almost smoking. Add the tuna and cook until well seared, about 2 minutes per side; the tuna should be rare inside. Let the fish rest for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the fennel, onion, chives and tomato halves. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with salt and fine pepper and toss well. Mound the salad on 4 large plates.
- Using a very sharp knife, sliced the tuna across the grain 1/4-inch thick and arrange it on the salads. Drizzle the tomato vinaigrette all around and garnish with the fennel fronds and chive blossoms.