- 1 pound Japanese eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1-inch knob fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 Thai chili, sliced (optional)
- Chopped cilantro, to garnish
How to make this recipe
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and after the oil is hot, stir in the eggplant. Cook for 3-5 minutes, turning occasionally, until the eggplant is seared.
- Stir in the onions, ginger and garlic, and then cook for about 1 minute, or until soft. (If the pan is too dry from the eggplant absorbing all the oil, add a touch more olive oil when stirring in the onions.)
- Reduce heat to low and stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce, curry powder, brown sugar, black pepper and optional chilies. Simmer for about 2 minutes or until heated through and eggplant has absorbed some of the sauce.
Rice and garnished with cilantro.