- 1 pound Japanese eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1-inch knob fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 Thai chili, sliced (optional)
- Chopped cilantro, to garnish
How to make this recipe
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and after the oil is hot, stir in the eggplant. Cook for 3-5 minutes, turning occasionally, until the eggplant is seared.
Stir in the onions, ginger and garlic, and then cook for about 1 minute, or until soft. (If the pan is too dry from the eggplant absorbing all the oil, add a touch more olive oil when stirring in the onions.)
Reduce heat to low and stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce, curry powder, brown sugar, black pepper and optional chilies. Simmer for about 2 minutes or until heated through and eggplant has absorbed some of the sauce.
Rice and garnished with cilantro.