- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
filling & finishing
- 1 pound baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ears corn, shucked (about 2 cups)
- 6 ounces smoked cheddar cheese, grated
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
How to make this recipe
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, sour cream, egg, olive oil and salt until the ingredients bind together. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for a couple minutes, or until smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes.
- Place the potatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large pot and fill with cold water to cover the potatoes. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and then simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain potatoes and mash. Allow to cool.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil, and then stir in the corn. Cook the corn for 3 minutes, or until tender. Combine the mashed potatoes, corn and cheese, and then season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about 1/8-inch thick. Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut out 12-15 rounds. Brush the edges of each round lightly with water, then place 1 tablespoon of filling on one side of the rounds. Fold the dough over, making half moon shapes, pressing out the air. Press and crimp the edges to seal the pierogi.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Cook the pierogi for 3-5 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the pierogi to the skillet with the butter and sear each side for about 1 minute or until golden. Serve warm.