Seared Chicken Liver Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
This dish is loosely adapted from a Piedmontese dish called finanziera, a mix of organ meats cooked with mushrooms and served alongside other dishes.
- 1 lemon, halved
- 5 baby artichokes (about 3/4 pound)
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound chicken livers, halved
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 heads of baby Bibb lettuce, torn
- Fill a bowl with water and squeeze the lemon halves into it. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, snap off the outer leaves. Trim the stem and cut off the top two-thirds of the leaves. Thinly slice the artichoke lengthwise and add to the water. Repeat with the remaining baby artichokes.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate and wipe out the skillet.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in the skillet until shimmering. Season the livers with salt and pepper; add them to the pan in a single layer along with the rosemary. Cook over moderate heat until lightly browned on the bottom, about 1 minute. Return the onion to the pan and cook, turning the livers until they're just pink in the center, about 1 minute. Add the vinegar, lemon juice and the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet and cook over high heat until reduced by half, about 1 minute. Discard the rosemary sprigs.
- Drain the artichokes and pat thoroughly dry. Arrange the lettuce and artichokes on a platter. Spoon the chicken livers and pan sauce on top and serve at once.
Though artichokes are hard to match with wines (they tend to make wine taste both sweet and metallic), the chicken livers here are rich enough to compensate. Try the Piedmont grape Dolcetto ("little sweet one").
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.