Seared Chicken Liver and Raisin Crostini
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 20 hors d'oeuvres
Plus: Ultimate Holiday Guide
Plus: More Appetizer Recipes and Tips
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 20 baguette slices
- 3/4 pound chicken livers, well-trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup chopped shallots
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Brush the baguette slices on both sides 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Arrange the slices on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until browned, about 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil until shimmering. Add the chicken livers in a single layer, season with the salt and pepper and cook over high heat for 1 minute. Carefully turn the livers (they tend to spatter) and cook until very rosy within, about 1 minute longer. Transfer the chicken livers to a plate.
- In a small bowl, mix the ketchup with the balsamic vinegar and water.
- Add the shallots to the skillet and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the balsamic sauce and raisins, then add the chicken livers and cook just until warmed through. Spoon the livers onto the toasts and transfer to a platter. Sprinkle with the chives and serve at once.