- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, peeled
- 1 pound beef tenderloin, sliced 1/2 inch thick and pounded to a 1/4-inch thickness
- 4 soft rolls, split
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
How to make this recipe
- In a medium bowl, toss the tomato with the cilantro, garlic, jalapeño and 1 tablespoon of the canola oil. Season with salt and pepper. In another bowl, mash the avocado and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil until shimmering. Season the meat with salt and pepper and add half to the skillet. Cook over high heat until the meat is browned around the edges but still pink in the center, about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn and cook for 1 minute longer for medium. Transfer the meat to a large plate. Repeat with the remaining half of the meat and 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Spread the avocado on the bottom halves of the rolls and the mayonnaise on the top halves. Arrange the meat on the avocado, top with the tomatoes and drizzle with the tomato and meat juices. Set the tops on the sandwiches and serve immediately.
A fruity rustic red with lots of flavor and good acidity, such as a Zinfandel, best complements this spicy beef and creamy avocado sandwich.