Seafood Stew with Anchovy Aioli
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- One 28-ounce can diced peeled tomatoes with their juices
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- Two 2-inch-long strips of orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Cayenne pepper
- 3/4 pound shelled and deveined large shrimp, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 pound sea scallops, halved or quartered if large
Preheat the oven to 350°. In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion, carrot and three-fourths of the garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the wine and cook until evaporated, about 3 minutes. Stir in the clam juice, the tomatoes and their juices, the diluted tomato paste, orange zest and 1/2 teaspoon of the anchovy paste; season with salt and pepper. Simmer over moderately high heat until reduced by half, about 15 minutes.
Discard the orange zest. Transfer half of the soup to a blender and coarsely puree. Return the puree to the soup in the saucepan.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir the mayonnaise with the remaining garlic and 1 teaspoon of anchovy paste. Season the aioli with cayenne.
Return the soup to a gentle boil. Add the shrimp and scallops and simmer until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Serve the soup in deep bowls; pass the aioli at the table.
Toasted baguette slices.