- 3 cups bottled clam broth
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of dried thyme
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound well-trimmed monkfish fillets, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup finely diced Serrano ham or prosciutto (1 1/2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped piquillo pepper or roasted red pepper
- 1/2 pound shelled and deveined medium shrimp
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, combine the clam broth, water and thyme and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Add the potato and cook until almost tender when pierced, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, beat the egg. With the machine on, gradually beat in the olive oil and then the lemon juice. Gradually add 1/2 cup of the hot clam broth and blend until emulsified. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Add the monkfish, peas, Serrano ham and piquillo pepper to the broth in the pot and cook for 2 1/2 minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer until they are pink and curled, about 2 minutes. Add the sherry. Remove the chowder from the heat and stir in the egg mixture. Season the soup with salt and pepper and serve.