- 3 cups bottled clam broth
- 2 cups water
- Pinch of dried thyme
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound well-trimmed monkfish fillets, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup finely diced Serrano ham or prosciutto (1 1/2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped piquillo pepper or roasted red pepper
- 1/2 pound shelled and deveined medium shrimp
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
How to make this recipe
In a large saucepan, combine the clam broth, water and thyme and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Add the potato and cook until almost tender when pierced, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a blender, beat the egg. With the machine on, gradually beat in the olive oil and then the lemon juice. Gradually add 1/2 cup of the hot clam broth and blend until emulsified. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
Add the monkfish, peas, Serrano ham and piquillo pepper to the broth in the pot and cook for 2 1/2 minutes. Add the shrimp and simmer until they are pink and curled, about 2 minutes. Add the sherry. Remove the chowder from the heat and stir in the egg mixture. Season the soup with salt and pepper and serve.