- 5 oregano sprigs
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 16 cipollini onions, peeled
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 pound okra, thickly sliced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 quarts chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 16 shelled and deveined jumbo shrimp
- 8 snow crab legs
- Chopped parsley, for serving
- Hot sauce, for serving
How to make this recipe
Using kitchen twine, tie the oregano and thyme sprigs into a bundle. Turn a 6- to 6 1/2-quart slow cooker to high and set
the timer for 4 hours. Add the butter and cover until the butter melts. Stir in the flour and mix with a wooden spoon until well incorporated and a paste forms. Add the herbs and the next 13 ingredients, up to and including the stock, and stir. Cover and cook for 3 hours.
Stir in the rice and chicken, cover and cook for 45 minutes. Add the shrimp and crab, cover and cook for 15 minutes longer.
Discard the herb bundle and bay leaves and season with salt. Garnish the gumbo with parsley and serve in bowls with hot sauce and shell crackers for breaking the crab legs.
Crisp, hoppy ale.