- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 lemon quarters
- 1 gypsy pepper or 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 head of frisée, torn into pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds large sea scallops
In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and shallots and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut one of the lemon quarters into paper-thin slices. Finely chop the slices, including the rind, and add to the shallots along with the gypsy pepper, capers and the 1/4 cup olive oil. Squeeze the juice from the remaining lemon quarter into the relish and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the frisée on 4 plates and top with half of the lemon relish.
Brush the scallops with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill or sear in a preheated grill pan, turning once, until the scallops are charred and cooked through, about 6 minutes. Arrange the scallops on the frisée, garnish with the remaining lemon relish and serve.