Sea Scallops with Peas, Bacon and Carrots
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 4 slices of thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/4-inch matchsticks
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 small Vidalia or other sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 cup packed shredded Boston lettuce (6 leaves)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 large sea scallops (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until browned and crisp, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the skillet and add 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onion and carrot and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the carrot is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the peas and cook just until heated through. Add the chicken stock, cover and simmer until the carrot is tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in the shredded lettuce, lemon juice, parsley and bacon and cook just until the lettuce wilts. Season the vegetables generously with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- In another large skillet, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in the olive oil. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to warmed plates, top with the scallops and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.