- 4 slices of thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/4-inch matchsticks
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 small Vidalia or other sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 cup packed shredded Boston lettuce (6 leaves)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 large sea scallops (about 1 1/2 pounds)
How to make this recipe
In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until browned and crisp, about 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain.
Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the skillet and add 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the onion and carrot and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the carrot is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Add the peas and cook just until heated through. Add the chicken stock, cover and simmer until the carrot is tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in the shredded lettuce, lemon juice, parsley and bacon and cook just until the lettuce wilts. Season the vegetables generously with salt and pepper and keep warm.
In another large skillet, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in the olive oil. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to warmed plates, top with the scallops and serve.