© Anson Smart
Scallops with Warm Tomato-Basil Dressing
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 first-course servings
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tomatoes—peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh fennel
- 1 tablespoon chopped chervil or tarragon
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded basil, plus baby leaves for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 16 jumbo sea scallops (about 1 pound)
- In a saucepan, toast the coriander and fennel seeds over moderate heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes; transfer to a mortar and let cool. Pound until coarsely ground.
- Warm the 1/4 cup of oil in the same saucepan. Add the spices along with the lemon juice and let stand for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, chopped fennel, chervil and shredded basil; season with salt and pepper.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Brush the scallops with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the scallops over high heat, turning once, until browned and just firm, about 4 minutes. Transfer the scallops to plates and spoon the warm tomato dressing on top. Garnish with basil leaves and serve.
Beer These rich, herb-scented scallops need a crisp light beer. Try Left Hand's frothy Polestar Pilsner. Or pour an unoaked Chardonnay.