Scallops with Summer Squash
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Way Shawn McClain prepares a rich herb dressing for tender scallops by blanching parsley, tarragon and chervil, then blending them with an egg yolk and olive oil. He uses three-quarters of a pound of prosciutto to make four servings.
Easy Way We omit the egg and make a very fresh herb sauce with olive oil and unblanched parsley, tarragon and chives (easier to find than chervil). Prosciutto is just an accent, which seriously lightens the dish.
More Recipes With Scallops
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- 2 tablespoons tarragon leaves
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed small yellow squash and zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 2 slices of prosciutto (1 ounce), cut into thin ribbons
- 12 jumbo scallops (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed Parmesan shavings (1/2 ounce)
- In a blender or a mini processor, chop the parsley, chives and tarragon. With the machine on, pour in 1/2 cup of the olive oil and blend until fairly smooth. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil until shimmering. Add the squash and zucchini and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the thyme and 2 tablespoons of the herb sauce; season with salt and pepper. Add the prosciutto and keep warm.
- In a medium skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil until shimmering. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and add them to the skillet. Cook over high heat, turning once, until golden brown and just barely opaque throughout, about 5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of the herb sauce and stir to coat.
- Spoon the squash onto plates and top with the scallops. Drizzle with the remaining herb sauce, garnish with the Parmesan shavings and serve.
Firm, lightly spicy Chardonnay.