Scallops with Snow Peas, Cauliflower and Peanut Panade
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 ounces snow peas
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salted peanuts, minced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter, such as Skippy
- 16 large sea scallops (1 1/2 pounds)
- Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450°. In a small bowl, stir the curry powder into 1/4 cup of the oil and let stand for 15 minutes. Let the spices settle, then pour the oil into another small bowl, stopping before you reach the solids. Whisk the lime juice into the curry oil and season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
- In a small baking dish, toss the cauliflower with 2 tablespoons of the oil and season with salt. Roast on the top rack of the oven, stirring once, until the cauliflower is tender and lightly browned in spots, about 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the snow peas and cook for 1 minute, until crisp-tender and bright green. Drain, cool under running water and pat dry.
- In a skillet, toast the bread crumbs in 1 tablespoon of the oil until golden, 1 minute. Transfer the bread crumbs to a small bowl and let cool. Stir in the peanuts and peanut butter and season the panade with salt.
- Preheat the broiler. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large ovenproof skillet until smoking. Season the scallops with salt and pepper, add them to the pan and cook over high heat until well-browned and crusty on the bottom, 4 minutes. Flip the scallops and spoon a dollop of the peanut panade onto each one. Broil for 10 seconds, until the panade is heated through.
- Transfer the scallops to plates and arrange the cauliflower and snow peas around them. Drizzle the curry vinaigrette all around, garnish with cilantro sprigs and serve.
Vibrant, citrusy Riesling from New Zealand.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.