- 1 cup brewed Lapsang souchong tea, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 pound large sea scallops
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced peeled ginger
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- 12 scallions, white and tender green parts, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
How to make this recipe
- In a medium bowl, mix the tea with the soy sauce and sugar. Pour 1/4 cup of this broth into a small bowl and whisk in the cornstarch.
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil until shimmering. Season the scallops with salt. Add them to the skillet in a single layer and cook over high heat until golden on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Turn the scallops and cook for 1 minute longer. Transfer the scallops to the bowl with the broth.
- Return the skillet to high heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 5 seconds. Add the shiitake and scallions and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the scallops and their broth and bring to a simmer, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the skillet. Whisk the cornstarch mixture, add it to the scallops and cook until the broth thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Serve the scallops in shallow bowls.
One serving Calories 230 kcal, Total Fat 12.2 gm, Saturated Fat .9 gm.