Scallops with Orzo, Tomatoes and Ginger
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 cup orzo or other tiny pasta
- One 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 large stalk of fresh lemongrass, tender inner core of bottom third only, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 pounds tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds large sea scallops
- In a saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the orzo, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a mini processor, mince the ginger with the lemongrass. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium skillet. Add the ginger and lemongrass and cook over moderately high until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add 2 tablespoons of the basil and the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil until shimmering. Add the scallops, season with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until browned on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Mound the orzo in shallow bowls or on plates and top with the tomatoes and scallops. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of basil and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.