Scallops with Grapefruit-Onion Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8 first-course servings
- 4 small ruby red grapefruits (about 2 pounds total)
- 3 tablespoons pickled cocktail onions
- 2 tablespoons packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Freshly ground pepper
- 24 sea scallops (about 2 pounds)
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Using a very sharp paring knife, peel the grapefruits, carefully removing all of the bitter white pith. Carefully cut in between the membranes to release the grapefruit sections into a bowl. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of grapefruit juice from the bowl. Stir in the pickled cocktail onions and parsley leaves and season with pepper.
- Pat the sea scallops dry and season them all over with salt. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil until it is shimmering. Cook the scallops over moderately high heat, turning once, until they are browned and just cooked through, about 4 minutes total. Spoon the pickled-onion-and-grapefruit salad onto small plates and arrange the scallops around the salad. Drizzle with olive oil and serve at once.
Serve with a zingy Verdejo from central Spain.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.