© John Kernick
Scallops with Fennel Grenobloise
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 2
Quick-cooking scallops are excellent with sweet fennel and a buttery lemon-caper sauce.
Slideshow: Fantastic Scallop Recipes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound sea scallops
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium fennel bulb—trimmed, halved and thinly sliced, fronds reserved for garnish
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat until golden brown on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn the scallops and cook until just opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Melt the butter in the skillet. Add the sliced fennel and capers and cook over high heat, stirring, until the fennel is crisp-tender and lightly golden, 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the fennel around the scallops and garnish with chopped fennel fronds. Serve with lemon wedges.
Try a bright Spanish white.