Scallops with Endives and Lemongrass Glaze
- ACTIVE: 35 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Sautéing the scallops on skewers makes a dramatic presentation, but they could be cooked loose in a skillet too.
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 Belgian endives, cored
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 lemongrass stalk, bottom half only, thinly sliced
- 1 cup rich veal stock (see Note)
- 24 sea scallops (about 2 1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a skillet that will hold the endives snugly, combine the water with the sugar and 1 tablespoon of the butter and bring to a simmer. Add the endives and season with salt and pepper. Simmer over moderately low heat, turning occasionally, until tender, about 1 hour.
- Drain off the cooking liquid and add 1 tablespoon of the butter to the skillet. Sauté the endives over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small saucepan. Add the chopped parsley, sliced garlic, shallot and lemongrass and cook over low heat for 4 minutes. Add the veal stock and simmer over moderate heat until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Strain the stock and return it to the saucepan. Boil over high heat until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Thread 4 scallops onto a parallel pair of 6-inch bamboo skewers. Repeat with the remaining scallops. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, melt 1/2 tablespoon of the butter in 1/2 tablespoon of the oil. Add half of the scallops and cook over high heat until deeply browned on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn and cook until browned on the bottom but barely cooked through, about 1 minute longer; transfer to a platter. Repeat with the remaining butter, oil and scallops. Set an endive on each plate and top with a scallop skewer. Drizzle the lemongrass glaze over the scallops and serve.
A spicy, fruity Alsace Pinot Gris will blend with the scallops.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.