- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup Gewürztraminer
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound sea scallops
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Granny Smith apple, unpeeled, cut into matchsticks
- 16 small sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large heavy skillet, boil the cider and Gewürztraminer, skimming occasionally, until reduced to 3 tablespoons, about 10 minutes; pour into a small bowl.
- Wipe out the skillet, add 2 tablespoons of the butter and melt over high heat. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer the scallops to a warmed serving plate and cover loosely with foil.
- Add the remaining butter to the skillet and melt over high heat. Add the cider mixture, apple, sage and lemon juice and cook until the apple is tender and the sauce is slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce over the scallops and serve.
Potato puree, pasta or gnocchi.
Consistently one of the finest Gewürztraminers in Oregon, Evesham Wood Vineyard's Estate Willamette Valley Gewürztraminer is made in a richly textured Alsatian style that is perfect with the scallops. Exotic flavors of lychee, ripe apricot and peach are balanced with great acidity and a very clean, dry finish.