- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon rose water (see Note)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- One 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained and 1/4 cup of the liquid reserved
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces chorizo, thinly sliced
- 8 jumbo sea scallops (2 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
How to make this recipe
In a small bowl, whisk the yogurt with the buttermilk and rose water.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chickpeas and cook for 1 minute. Scrape the mixture into a food processor. Add the lemon juice and the reserved 1/4 cup of chickpea liquid and puree until smooth. Season the puree with salt and pepper.
Wipe out the skillet. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil and the chorizo and cook over moderately low heat until the chorizo is crisp and the oil is deep orange, about 5 minutes. Strain the oil into a bowl and reserve the chorizo for another use.
Wipe out the skillet and heat it until very hot. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and swirl to coat the pan. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, turning once, until browned outside and just cooked through, about 6 minutes.
Dollop the chickpea puree on 8 small plates and drizzle with the rose water yogurt. Set the scallops on the yogurt and drizzle with the chorizo oil. Garnish with parsley and serve.
Peachy, lively Sauvignon Blanc.