Scallops and Spicy Chorizo
- SERVINGS: 4
This dish was inspired by one at Grace Parisi's favorite New York tapas restaurant, El Cid.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Two 3-ounce chorizo sausages, quartered lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 1 pound sea scallops
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup clam juice
- 1 medium leek, white and tender green—quartered lengthwise and cut into 2-by-1/4 -inch strips and washed
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonreactive skillet until almost smoking. Add the chorizo pieces and cook over high heat, stirring, until browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a large plate. Wipe out the skillet, add 1 teaspoon of the oil and heat until almost smoking. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and add them to the skillet in a single layer. Cook over high heat, turning once, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the scallops to the chorizo.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the skillet. Add the leek and garlic and sauté over moderately high heat until just softened, about 2 minutes. Pour in the wine and boil until almost evaporated, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits. Pour in the clam juice and boil to reduce by half, about 3 minutes. Return the chorizo and scallops to the skillet and toss over moderate heat until heated through. Serve at once.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.