Scallop Rosettes with Avocado and Creamed Tandoori Chayote
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8 first-course servings
For this delicious recipe, chef Daniel Boulud quickly cooks scallop slices, then serves them with a rich, tangy avocado-tomatillo sauce and Indian-spiced hearts of palm (we substitute chayote, which is easier to find).
- 2 medium tomatillos, husked
- 1 Hass avocado, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon chopped pickled cherry peppers, plus slices for garnish
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 2 chayotes—halved lengthwise and pitted; 3 halves cut into 1/4-inch dice, 1 half shaved on a mandoline
- 1 teaspoon tandoori seasoning (see Note)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, plus parsley leaves for garnish
- 8 jumbo sea scallops, thinly sliced crosswise
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a blender, puree the tomatillos, avocado and lime juice. With the machine on, add 3 tablespoons of the oil. Transfer to a bowl; fold in the chopped peppers. Season with salt and white pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the diced chayote and tandoori seasoning and season with salt and white pepper. Cook over moderate heat, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the cream and broth and simmer over low heat until the chayote is tender and coated in a thick sauce, about 5 minutes longer. Stir in the chopped parsley.
- Cut eight 6-inch squares of parchment and lightly brush them with oil, then place on a large baking sheet. Arrange 1 sliced scallop in a rosette on each piece of parchment and season with salt and white pepper. Bake for 5 minutes, just until the scallops are white.
- Spoon the creamed chayote onto plates and top with a dollop of the tomatillo-avocado puree. Slide the scallop rosettes over the puree. Garnish with parsley leaves, cherry pepper slices and shaved chayote and serve.
Minerally, fresh strawberry-scented rosé.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.