- 1/4 cup pilsner beer
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 small jalapeño with seeds, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Tartar sauce and lemon wedges, for serving
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 pound sea scallops, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup bottled clam broth
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 inches of oil to 350°. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the all-purpose flour with the cornmeal, baking powder, 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt and a pinch of pepper. Add the eggs, clam broth and beer and whisk until the batter is smooth. Fold in the scallops, scallions, onion and jalapeño.
- Working in batches, drop heaping teaspoons of the batter into the oil and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown all over, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fritters to paper towels. Serve with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
Bradley makes these fritters with a pilsner batter, and they taste terrific when paired with a pilsner as well. Two good ones to search out: fresh, lightly bitter Brooklyn Brewery Brooklyn Pilsner and Victory Brewing Company's hoppy Prima Pils.