- 1 pound sea scallops, sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 jalapeño—stemmed and chopped, half the seeds discarded
- 4 ounces English cucumber, seeded and coarsely chopped, plus 1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumber
- 1 small garlic clove, smashed
- 1/4 cup lightly packed cilantro
- 1/4 cup lightly packed parsley
- 1 tablespoon mint
- 1/2 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Tostadas or tortilla chips, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a glass bowl, toss the scallops with the lime juice. Cover and refrigerate for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the scallops just start to turn opaque.
Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the jalapeño with the chopped cucumber, garlic, cilantro, parsley, mint, oil and water and puree until very smooth. Season the <em>aguachile</em> with salt.
Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the lime juice from the scallops. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of the aguachile to the scallops and mix well; reserve the remaining <em>aguachile</em> for another use. Fold in the onion and the thinly sliced cucumber and season with salt. Spoon into bowls or glasses and serve with tostadas or tortilla chips.