© David Loftus
Scallop and Mushroom Soup with Ginger and Leeks
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Plus: More Soup Recipes and Tips
Amazing Seafood Recipes
- 3/4 pound sea scallops
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound oyster mushrooms, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large leek, white and tender green parts only, finely julienned
- 2 tablespoons finely julienned peeled fresh ginger
- 1 quart chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Thinly slice the scallops crosswise. Spread them in 4 ovenproof soup plates. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Brush the scallops with some of the butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the mushrooms to the remaining butter in the saucepan. Season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the leek and ginger and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt. Keep hot.
- Bake the scallops in the oven for about 30 seconds, or until the bowls are hot. Pour the hot soup over the scallops, garnish with the cilantro and serve.