- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 3 cups water plus more if needed
- One 2-inch piece galangal or ginger—peeled, sliced, crushed and wrapped in cheesecloth or put in a tea ball
- 1 pound carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
How to make this recipe
- In a stockpot or saucepan, heat the coconut oil over medium, then add the shallots. Sauté until softened, about 4 minutes, then add the broth, water and galangal. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to low and simmer until fragrant, about 6 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook until nearly tender, about 5 minutes. Remove the galangal. Add the tomatoes and return to a simmer, then add the spinach; remove from heat once the spinach is bright green. Add the fish sauce and season with salt and white pepper to taste, then serve.
Contributed By Russ Crandall