- One 1/2-pound rutabaga, peeled and cut into 2-by-1/4-inch strips
- 3/4 cup walnut halves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons molasses, preferably sorghum
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- One 1-pound Savoy cabbage, cored and finely shredded
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil and fill a bowl with ice water. Blanch the rutabaga in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and transfer to the ice water to cool. Drain and pat dry.
- Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast for about 9 minutes, until fragrant and golden. Let cool; coarsely chop.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the molasses with the lemon juice and vinegar. Gradually whisk in the olive oil. Season the dressing with salt and pepper. Add the cabbage, rutabaga and walnuts and toss well. Let the slaw stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving.