- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup minced shallots or red onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced shallots (about 2) or red onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds cremini or white mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sweet sherry or Marsala
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 8 large eggs
- Lightly oil an 8-inch-square waffle iron and preheat it. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper. In another bowl, combine the butter, shallots and rosemary; whisk in the eggs and then the buttermilk. Gradually stir the wet ingredients into the flour mixture.
- Pour one-third of the batter into the waffle iron and bake until browned, about 8 minutes. Set the waffle aside and bake the remaining batter in 2 batches.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the shallots and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until softened but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, sherry, parsley and thyme and season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over moderately high heat for 5 minutes. Uncover and add the cream. Cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender and the sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Bring a large skillet of water to a boil and add the vinegar. Break 4 of the eggs into the water, 1 at a time. Simmer gently over moderate heat until the whites are firm and the yolks soft, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a paper towel-lined platter. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- Meanwhile, cut each waffle into 4 squares and toast until crisp. Set 2 squares on each of 4 warmed plates. Arrange 2 eggs on each plate and spoon the mushrooms on top. Pass the remaining waffles separately.
The waffles can be refrigerated for up to 1 day or frozen for up to 1 month before toasting.
A light salad of butter lettuce, red onion and orange slices.
Thyme and rosemary, as well as the sherry-simmered mushrooms, are all complemented by the enveloping flavors of a rich, oaky California Chardonnay.