© John Kernick
Savory Tomato Parfaits
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
For this multihued starter, Andreas Viestad creates purees with three colors of tomatoes, seasoning each with salt, but little else.
- 1/2 pound medium dark heirloom tomatoes, such as Black Krim, cored and chopped
- 1/2 pound yellow plum tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- A few drops of white wine vinegar
- 1/2 pound red cherry tomatoes, halved
- Breadsticks, for garnish
- In a blender, puree the dark tomatoes at high speed, until very smooth, 2 minutes; scrape down the sides as necessary. Season the puree with salt and carefully pour into 4 glasses. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes, until the puree has firmed up slightly.
- Rinse and dry the blender. Repeat the pureeing process with the yellow tomatoes. Add the parsley, thyme and vinegar; season with salt. Carefully pour the yellow puree into the glasses and refrigerate for about 15 minutes, until the yellow puree is set.
- Rinse and dry the blender and process the cherry tomatoes to make the top layer of the parfaits. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Garnish with breadsticks and serve.