Savory Oatmeal with Tomatoes, Parmesan and Eggs
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
This is a clever, quick-cooking savory take on oatmeal. Chef Sang Yoon cooks oats risotto-style and flavors them with basil, tomatoes and cheese, then tops the creamy mix with perfect poached eggs.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 garlic, very thinly sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1/4 cup torn basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- In a medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter. Add the shallot and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste and wine and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately high heat, stirring, until nearly all the wine is absorbed and the tomatoes just start to pop, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the oats and chicken stock and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the oats are just tender and suspended in a creamy sauce, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the 1/4 cup of basil, 1/4 cup of grated cheese and the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Season the oatmeal with salt and pepper and keep warm, adding tablespoons of water if it becomes too thick.
- Meanwhile, bring a large, deep skillet of water to a simmer over moderate heat. Add the white vinegar and a generous pinch of salt. Crack the eggs into a small bowl, one at a time, and carefully slide them into the simmering water. Poach the eggs over moderate heat until the whites are set but the yolks are still slightly runny, about 4 minutes. Transfer the poached eggs to paper towels to drain.
- Spoon the oatmeal into shallow bowls. Top with the poached eggs, garnish with basil and serve right away, passing additional cheese at the table.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.