- One 3-pound ripe cantaloupe, cut into 1-inch cubes (see Notes)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 2 slices soppressata salami, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- 1/2 pound fresh goat cheese
- 6 slices country bread
- Put the melon cubes in a serving bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add the oil and toss gently, then add the vinegar. Garnish with the soppressata and chives. Spread the cheese on the bread and serve it alongside.
Here's the fastest way to cut a melon into cubes: cut a thin slice from both ends of the melon. Halve the melon crosswise and scoop out the seeds. Lay the halves on a work surface, cut side down, and slice off the skin in lengthwise strips with a small sharp knife. Slice the melon 1 inch thick with a large knife, then cut across to make 1-inch cubes.