- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups finely shredded green cabbage (1/2 small head)
- 3 shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon drained pickled ginger, preferably red, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon bonito flakes, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 pound pork tenderloin, sliced crosswise and cut into 1/4-inch-thick matchsticks
- 1/4 pound small shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Nori flakes, for garnish
- Mayonnaise, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour into the eggs until a smooth batter forms. Add the shredded cabbage, sliced shiitake, 3/4 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon each of the pickled ginger and bonito flakes. Mix until thoroughly combined. In a small bowl, combine the pork and shrimp and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the mirin, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup. Bring the sauce just to a boil, then simmer over moderately low heat until thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Stir the pancake mixture. Spoon four 1-cup portions of the pancake mixture into the skillet and flatten each into a 5-inch pancake about 1/2 inch thick. Cook the pancakes over moderate heat until they are golden brown on the bottom, 5 to 7 minutes. If the pancakes brown too quickly, lower the heat slightly.
- Make a slight indentation in the top of each pancake and top each of them with one-fourth of the pork and shrimp, pressing down slightly. Carefully turn the pancakes over; if necessary, use two spatulas to hold the pancakes together. Cook the pancakes until they are golden brown on the second side and the pork and shrimp are cooked through, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer the pancakes to a platter, pork and shrimp side up. Brush the pancakes with some of the sauce and top each of them with a little pickled ginger and some bonito and nori flakes. Serve the pancakes hot, with the remaining sauce and mayonnaise on the side.
Plain stir-fried noodles or Stir-Fried Noodles and Pork.