Savory Apple Compote
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 1 1/2 cups
This compote is delicious on burgers, but it can also be spread on turkey sandwiches or eaten alongside pork chops or ham steaks.
Slideshow: Fall Flavor Combinations
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup minced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 4 Empire apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced crystallized ginger
- Pinch of dried sage
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the apples, ginger, sage, vinegar, sugar and 1/4 cup of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the apples are very tender, stirring and mashing occasionally, about 10 minutes. Season the compote with salt.
Notes Pork chops, ham steaks or turkey burgers with sweet pickles and grainy mustard.