Savory Apple Compote
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 1 1/2 cups
This compote is delicious on burgers, but it can also be spread on turkey sandwiches or eaten alongside pork chops or ham steaks.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup minced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 4 Empire apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced crystallized ginger
- Pinch of dried sage
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the apples, ginger, sage, vinegar, sugar and 1/4 cup of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the apples are very tender, stirring and mashing occasionally, about 10 minutes. Season the compote with salt.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.