- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup minced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 4 Empire apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced crystallized ginger
- Pinch of dried sage
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
How to make this recipe
Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the apples, ginger, sage, vinegar, sugar and 1/4 cup of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the apples are very tender, stirring and mashing occasionally, about 10 minutes. Season the compote with salt.
Pork chops, ham steaks or turkey burgers with sweet pickles and grainy mustard.