Sautéed Turnips and Carrots with Rosemary-Ginger Honey
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
This hearty side dish is wonderful with grilled or pan-fried chicken or a meaty fish like mahimahi or swordfish. It was inspired by a recipe from Rosemary Barron's cookbook Flavors of Greece.
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced rosemary
- 2 1/4 pounds white turnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1 1/2- by- 1/4-inch sticks
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Italian frying peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- In a small bowl, soak the currants in the hot water. In a small saucepan, combine the honey, ginger and rosemary and simmer over low heat for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, cook the turnips until just tender, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a shallow dish. Add the carrots to the boiling water and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the turnips in an even layer and cook over moderately high heat for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook, undisturbed, until lightly browned on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Stir in the carrots and peppers and season with salt and pepper. Cover the vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the currants and their soaking liquid to the vegetables and cook until the liquid has thickened, about 2 minutes. Add the honey mixture, stir well and simmer for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and add the vinegar. Stir and transfer to a bowl. Serve hot or warm.
An uncomplicated wine can be an excellent foil for a sophisticated dish. A rustic Moschofilero from Greece will make this clever take on vegetables à la grecque seem even more sublime.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.