- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons and chilled
- 1/4 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps quartered
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shelled raw pumpkin seeds, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- Four 6-ounce trout fillets, with skin
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
How to make this recipe
In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderately high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the wine and boil until reduced by half, about 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and boil until reduced by half again, about 1 minute. Remove the skillet from the heat and whisk in the cold butter, 1 tablespoon at a time.
In another medium skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil. Add the shiitake caps and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sesame seeds and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Season the shiitake with salt and pepper and remove the skillet from the heat.
On a plate, toss the pumpkin seeds with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the cayenne. Press the boned side of the trout fillets into the pumpkin seeds to coat.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the trout fillets, crusted side down, and cook over moderately high heat until browned, about 2 minutes. Turn the fillets and cook until the fish is just white throughout and the skin is crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer the fillets to plates.
Add the scallions, tomato, cilantro and lime juice to the sauce and rewarm over moderately high heat, stirring; do not let it boil. Spoon the sautéed shiitake and the sauce over the trout and serve.
A light-bodied Italian Pinot Grigio will match the acidity of the tomatoes and lime juice in this recipe without overwhelming the trout.