- 2 ounces thick-cut bacon, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 hot red chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 1/4 pounds mixed young spring greens, such as dandelion, mustard, collards, Tuscan kale and spinach—stems and inner ribs trimmed, leaves cut into ribbons
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
How to make this recipe
- In a large skillet, cook the diced bacon in the olive oil over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the shallot, chile and mustard seeds and cook until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the greens, season with salt and pepper and cook, tossing frequently, until wilted and tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and serve.
The cooked greens can be refrigerated overnight.