© Zubin Schroff
Sautéed Shrimp with Arugula
- SERVINGS: 4
This tart shrimp sauté is best served with white rice or orzo.
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/2 pound arugula, large stems discarded
- In a mortar, combine the garlic, lemon zest, peppercorns and a pinch of salt and mash to a coarse paste. Stir in the lemon juice and then 1/4 cup of the oil.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil. Add the shrimp and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until beginning to curl, about 3 minutes. Add the arugula and stir until wilted and the shrimp is cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add the olive oil mixture, toss well and season with salt; serve hot.
NotesOlive Oil A buttery extra-virgin olive oil adds richness to the shrimp; a peppery oil gives the sauce bite.
The sweet shrimp require a simple, crisp, dry white, such as an Italian Pinot Grigio.