Sautéed Seafood with Spicy Romesco Sauce
- SERVINGS: 4
More Amazing Seafood Recipes
- 3 red bell peppers
- 1 ancho chile—stemmed, seeded and torn into large pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- One 1-inch-thick slice of country white bread, crust discarded, bread toasted and torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup sliced blanched almonds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined, tails left on
- 1/2 pound large sea scallops
- 3/4 pound cleaned squid, bodies cut into 1/4-inch rings, large tentacles halved
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley or cilantro
- Roast the bell peppers directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning, until blackened or charred all over. Transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam for 10 minutes, then peel and remove the cores.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cover the ancho chile with hot water and let stand for 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil until shimmering. Add the ancho chile and cook over moderate heat, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine the bread with the almonds and garlic. Season with salt and process until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Add the ancho and its oil, the peppers, tomatoes and vinegar and puree. With the machine on, add the water. Scrape into a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet. Add the shrimp and scallops, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat for 1 minute, then turn and cook for 30 seconds longer. Add 1 cup of the romesco sauce and bring to a simmer; if the sauce seems too thick, add 2 tablespoons of water to loosen it. Add the squid and cook just until it turns opaque, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, season with salt and stir in the parsley. Transfer to a platter and serve. Pass the remaining romesco sauce at the table or refrigerate for another use.
NotesOne Serving Calories 375 kcal, Total Fat 16.8 gm, Saturated Fat 2.3 gm, Protein 34 gm, Carbohydrates 22 gm.